Thursday, July 24, 2014

Eyelid op went well

So I totally thought it was going to be a quick go in, have the op and be able to be finished within two hours type thing. But it was a proper operation. I seem to be quite unprepared each time I have an operation. I remember I thought the same thing when I had my picc line inserted.

Like all proper operations, all the patients were called in for first thing in the morning and then when everyone was settled the surgeons then schedule the urgent ones first, followed by the not so urgent ones. Also like proper operations, there was a theatre, an operating table and lots of doctors and nurses in gowns peering down at me. I don't know why I thought it was going to be a small deal.

Anyway it is probably a good thing because it wasn't until I got into the theatre that I became a little scared. And especially because they were working in my eye area, which is an essential part of my body! And it occurred to me, whilst I was lying there - how vulnerable I was. I was literally in their hands. I was at the mercy and/or the beneficiary of their experience and skills. Scary.

It is very strange having an operation on your face because I couldn't feel the top half of it, due to the local anaesthetic. Medical science is just amazing. They were able to numb my face, invert my eyelids and get the mucus out with me being awake and not feeling a thing! Amazing.

I left the hospital as pictured earlier with my mum as my guide dog. You really can't judge distance with just one eye so it was a new experience trying to walk round with only one eye. I walked into things. I was able to take off the bandage this evening. I actually look pretty much the same as the eyelids are now swollen instead of having cysts. They should go down in the next few days though and hopefully back to normal.

It's been a mad few days. I haven't blogged about it but my parents are in the midst of selling Nick's house, buying another one and selling the shop. And I have been helping them in liaising with the estate agents and solicitors. So in the midst of having an unexpected minor operation, wrapping up work and preparing for a major-ish operation, I've also been chasing estate agents and solicitors and arranging necessary paperwork for the sale. I was able to sort out a few things whilst I was in the waiting room as I had my iPhone, but when it came to my turn they had to tell me to get off the phone to go in for my op! I like multi-tasking, but it has been slightly crazy. The two houses are completing tomorrow and I am off work now so it will be less manic very soon.

I go in tomorrow for the lumpectomy at 7am, but will probably be operated on between 9am - 11am. Please think of/pray for me around those times. xx

2 comments: