Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Home from Chemo

I am back home from my chemo session. It went fine apart from that it took the nurse 3 times to find a good vein. She kept hitting a valve whatever that is, which meant resistance to the needle going in so eventually they found one in my lower arm. They've advised me to put in what they call a PICC line which is a permanent tube in my upper arm which will stay throughout my treatment and that is where they will administer the chemo drugs and take blood. It is advisable for me because my veins are not so bulgy and not easy to find and also they only have the left arm to work with because the lymph node surgery was on the right side and it is not advisable to have liquids or blood to go out of that arm. I will have a PICC line put in before the next chemo session.

The entire session only took 2 hours (half an hour trying to find a vein!). I had my lunch of chicken and egg sandwiches (lovingly prepared by my mum) at the same time and mum was next to me the whole time. My nurse, Jill was very nice and attentive. One of the drugs when it was going through made me light headed and gave me a line of pain in my eyes. But that passed when it finished. Very weird.

Jill gave me a bag of drugs to take home. Some I have to take, others I take as and when. One drug is for if I am constipated, another is for if I have diarrhoea, another is for I am feeling nauseous and so on. And then there are others that I have to take to work against sickness and get my white cell count up. These are all for me!:
My friend picked us up and drove us home. I have since had a sit down and a cup of tea and I have even been to the supermarket with mum to buy groceries! We've had a nice homemade dinner together (cooked by mother dearest) and now relaxing on the sofa. I feel alright, a bit light headed and a little tired, but not any other side effects yet. And I don't want any, God if you can arrange it. Thank you. Amen!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Yan. That's quite a stash you have there! Glad to hear your first session went well and that you could even go to the supermarket! Has your boiler been fixed yet? My LifeGroup has been praying for you and will continue to do so. It's handy with this blog to know how to pray and what's going on. You're doing amazingly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww please thank your LifeGroup for me! That is so sweet! The boiler is being put in tomorrow - hooray! I am still feeling fine!

    ReplyDelete