Friday, November 14, 2014

On the home stretch


I am on the home stretch of my final treatment. It's very hard to explain how I feel. Exhilarated, sense of relief, tiredness, disbelief, hope, overwhelmed. I think back to what my year has been and it has been weird....surreal. It was totally mapped out for me from the time when I discovered about my cancer which was at the beginning of February. From that time it has been a marathon of doctor appointments, hospital visits, treatments, surgeries, side effects, drugs, sickness and emotional turmoil. I can't believe I am nearly finished. In one sense it has been a long journey because it has not exactly been enjoyable, but in another sense it's also been compact and swift. I cannot fault the NHS at all. They have been absolutely brilliant. As soon as I finish one stage of treatment they promptly send me details of the next stage. I have been so well looked after, that I feel very blessed. I also can't believe that I have been off work this long. By the time I go back to work it will have been 6 months. I am also overwhelmed by how well supported I have been by friends, family, work and my church. 

I still believe that God allowed me to have cancer for a higher purpose. Because He has given me everything that I needed to get through it. However I am still unaware of what it has been for. But I hope my story will inspire others to get through the same fight. I really hope that I will never have to repeat this journey. But at the same time I will not have changed it. I have been so blessed, which only comes from a circumstance like getting a serious illness. I can also honestly say that my relationship with God has grown stronger through this. Maybe that has been the point. My knowledge of Him has grown. I know now that there is nothing impossible for him. And I am so overwhelmed by His love. I hope I never forget this experience.

2 more treatment sessions and then I will be done. No more treatments. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment