Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Hooray!


I am done, done, done, done, done, DONE. Stick a fork in me because I am done! It felt so good to walk out of the BRI (Bristol Royal Infirmary) today and know that I wouldn't be going back. It's been some journey. What a relief. No more poking, prodding, ingesting drugs, cutting me open and not knowing what my body would do. No more having to get my breasts out at every medical appointment.

When I asked the medical staff what my health status was, they were hesitant to say. They don't like saying the words 'cured' or 'remission' any more because in every cancer survivor there is always a chance of reoccurrence. So they like to cautiously say that all appropriate treatment and medicine has been administered and applied and that now it is a case of monitoring and keeping a close eye on my health. Very long answer. I will have yearly mammograms for 5 years and then less regularly for the rest of my life. I will also take a daily dose of tamoxifen for the next 5 years which lessens the chance of any remaining potential cancer cells from becoming active.

But it would be very accurate for me to say that I am now TUMOUR FREE  and CANCER FREE. Hooray!

I may still experience more tiredness these next couple of weeks as the effect of the radiotherapy continues to accumulate so I still have to go easy. I haven't cycled for two weeks already and don't really feel the energy for it. I've been sleeping loads as well which has probably been a reaction to the treatment.

After my appointment today, I went to the shops and bought myself a gorgeous pair of brown leather boots. Well deserved I think.

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic News Yan....well done for keeping so cheerful and positive. Very happy for you, hope to see you in Bristol sometime.
    John xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray, Yan! This is the post we have all been waiting to read! I also want to say that you are amazing and inspirational, Yan. Following your blog and hearing all about your ups and downs during your treatment, your positivity has just been incredible. I think you should be a motivational speaker or that you should support other women going through cancer, or something as you would be so inspirational! Love you, Yan! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tish! I would happily talk about my journey should the opportunity arise. Thank you so much for your lovely words and encouragement xx.

      Delete
  3. Yay! We praise God for you Yan! And for the strength and courage he's given you through it all. So glad to hear it's all done. Rock those boots! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome news Yan - rejoicing with you! And maximum respect for your courage, faith and honesty. Hope to see you soon. God bless you! Love from Steve, Hazel, Silas & Lydia xxx

    ReplyDelete